Need persistent object store/o.o.d.b.

For my masters project I need a persistent object store because the
project is object oriented (surprise) and I want to save the objects
across sessions. In an earlier request I received pointers to Object
LISP and CLOS function for saving objects to (and loading them from)
files.  However, it would be much better to have a persistent object
store (or object oriented database). I need one which has these
features (I'm new to the persistent object world so please forgive my
needing to make them explicit):

- load objects on call (no waiting for an entire file to load and
  better use of memory: not all objects must be loaded and some can be
  unloaded if memory gets tight). Ditto for saving.

- distributed store (don't have to know the details of where objects
  are stored and you get transparent network access).

- concurrent object access + security (can protect objects based on user)

- fast saving, loading, and memory access

 From my (LISP) perspective I see potential systems as LISP based and
others, where accessing the non LISP based ones would be via foreign
function calls.

Would anyone who knows of such a system (commercial or academic)
please respond to me? I will summarize any potential solutions I am
lead to. Thank you in advance.

Note: One option I have is adapting a system a group at this school
developed (called Mneme) but it is implemented in C on Unix.  So I
guess I'd run MACL on AUX and do foreign function calls to the object
server. Is this possible?

Matthew Cornell
Knowledge Communication Systems Group
University of Massachusetts/Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-6664[home] (413) 545-0582, -3584[office]