GC & Virtual Memory

I am currently developing an application (using CLIM v. 1.0) which
involves a significant amount of memory manipulating arrays.  When
running on the Symbolics fits in a world using about 80 Mb. of paging
area.  On the Macintosh under MCL 2.0b1p3 I initially tried running
under 5 Mb. of real memory (and failed).  I then turned on virtual
memory under system 7 and gave MCL 20 Mb.  The result has been GC

I am interested in heuristics and/or parameters for increasing
effectiveness of the MCL garbage collector.  Is the MCL garbage
collector unworkable with virtual memory?  Any and all thoughts on
this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Palo Alto Laboratory, Rockwell International Science Center