[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Quotation concerning rational arithmetic
- To: Guy.Steele at CMU-10A
- Subject: Re: Quotation concerning rational arithmetic
- From: George J. Carrette <GJC at MIT-MC>
- Date: Wed ,7 Jan 81 23:00:00 EDT
- Cc: LISP-FORUM at MIT-MC
Stoutemeyer left out two very important classes of arithmetic
which was taught in elementary school (I go back to the old days
when the new-math was the "in thing", would have been great if
the teachers understood it of course), these are:
(1) integer arithmetic modulo N.
(2) Boolean arithmetic, including those "sets" and "ven diagrams" with
apples and peaches. (Finite sets of course).
With "clock arithmetic" as they called it, you can have a nice consistency
in the language specification along with a naturalness and closeness to