[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: change to instance structure protocol
- To: Jon L White <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: change to instance structure protocol
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (David Moon)
- Date: Tue, 4 Dec 1990 03:49:22 PST
- Cc: Cyphers@jasper.scrc.symbolics.com, email@example.com, MOP.PARC@xerox.com
> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 1990 19:15:00 PST
> From: Jon L White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> re: We do a blindingly fast linear search for the slot name in the table.
> Ditto. Except that from monitoring things, I wouldn't have called it
> "blindingly" fast; it isn't anywhere near as fast, for example, as the
> (hashed-access) permutation-table indirection used for the "inline" case.
Ours (now theirs) is more blinding than yours since the Ivory and the 3600
have architectural and hardware support for pipelined memory searches.