[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Programming Performance on Symbolics
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 88 09:45:20 PST
Thus, I am not aware that sufficient information is readily available
concerning optimization of performance on the Symbolics. What I
would like to see are:
3) tutorials and sessions at SLUG national meetings on
performance. Topics could include, as a start:
1) system configuration: hardware; physical memory, virtual
memory. networking, file serving with multiple nodes, ...
2) efficient use of Common Lisp functions: examples of usage
in appropriate situations, ... (for portable software)
3) efficient use of zeta-lisp, underlying Symbolics functions
to acheive maximum speed in e.g. managing large arays, how to
avoid consing, how to generate less gargage, which underlying
functions are faster than Common Lisp and/or Zeta Lisp,
.... (for non-portable software)
4) efficient use of Symbolics Genera & TV: windows and flavors;
e.g. fastest pop-up windows (small & large item lists), which
ways of displaying object in dynamic windows are fastest to
generate - fastest to access with mouse handlers, ....
5) perfomance hints on using Symbolics S- products (e.g.
S-Geometry). How to manage large numbers of objects, etc...
Thanks, these are good suggestions. I will try to arrange to talk about
this at the next SLUG national meeting. (I don't profess to be experts
on all of your topics, but I think I can be some help.)