[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

My God ... Its full of epsilons!

Received: from THOMAS.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM by ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM via CHAOS with CHAOS-MAIL id 36674; Fri 1-Sep-89 23:31:46 PDT
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 89 23:28 PDT
From: Eric Buckman <BUCKMAN@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: My God ... Its full of epsilons! 
To: slug@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM
In-Reply-To: Your message of 1 Sep 89 19:13 PDT
Message-ID: <19890902062857.6.BUCKMAN@THOMAS.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>

    Date: Fri, 1-Sep-89 19:13:17-PDT

    Received: by opal.STC.LOCKHEED.COM (3.2/1.57); Fri, 1 Sep 89 21:12:14 CDT
    Received: from IU.AI.SRI.COM by uunet.uu.net (5.61/1.14) with SMTP 
	    id AA06241; Fri, 1 Sep 89 21:53:22 -0400
    Received: from Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM by IU.AI.SRI.COM via SMTP with TCP;
	      Fri, 1 Sep 89 17:40:42-PST
    Received: from ENH.NIST.GOV by Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM with INTERNET ; Fri,
	      1 Sep 89 17:28:04 PDT
    Return-Path: MILLER@vax.cam.nist.gov
    Received: from vax.cam.nist.gov by ENH.NIST.GOV; Fri,
	      1 Sep 89 20:08 EDT
    Received: by vax.cam.nist.gov id <0000321B051@vax.cam.nist.gov> ; Fri,
	      1 Sep 89 19:42:36 EDT
    Date: Fri,  1 Sep 89 19:42:07 EDT
    From: MILLER@vax.cam.nist.gov
    Subject: My God ... Its full of epsilons!
    To: slug@Warbucks.AI.SRI.COM
    X-Vms-Mail-To: EXOS%"slug@ai.sri.com"
    Message-Id: <890901194207.0000321B051@vax.cam.nist.gov>

    Mabry's message w/code reminded me of something thats been bugging me
    and I haven't looked terribly hard for a solution.  It's nothing wrong
    with Mabry or Mabry's code, its just
     `My god...Its full of epsilons!!'

    Hey, I'm a real fan of fonts (ahem, character styles), too; I  certainly
    dont object to  getting mail  with multiple  fonts.  I'ld  love it, if I
    could just read the stuff!
    Or failing that, when I copy code from a message, is there a command in
    zmacs to convert it?


So, about 6-12 months ago, I tried to get this solved by Symbolics customer service.
(i.e. the same thing happens here, and its a real pain in the but.)

Their "great" solution was some code that stripped out the epsilon information.  Big wow,
a couple of string replaces does that for me.  Anyway, I gave up on tring to get the solution
at that point because it seemed obvious that they understood the problem, but it looked like no one there
was really interested in solving it.  So, if anyone has the real solution,  (i.e. making use of the font information
in the header, and then reparsing the buffer, removing the epsilons while changing the character styles
back to what they should be.) I'd sure be interested.