[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
How do we let multiple sites/namespaces hooked on the same chaosnet KNOW about each other???
- To: slug@WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM
- Subject: How do we let multiple sites/namespaces hooked on the same chaosnet KNOW about each other???
- From: "BUCKMAN%ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM %ALAN.kahuna.DECNET.LOCKHEED.COM"@WARBUCKS.AI.SRI.COM
- Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 18:51:11 EST
Received: from NILS.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM by ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM via CHAOS with CHAOS-MAIL id 8164; Tue 28-Nov-89 15:48:49 PST
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 15:48 PST
From: Eric Buckman <BUCKMAN@ALAN.LAAC-AI.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: How do we let multiple sites/namespaces hooked on the same chaosnet KNOW about each other???
I just got a call back from Steve Saeedi (Symbolics Software Phone Support), and
these are the instructions he gave me for letting two Namespaces and sites Know
about each other. (Of course I couldn't find any real documenatation on the
These are the step by step instructions he gave me for hooking up two sperate
1) Make sure both sites namespace object: Network Chaos have Type CHAOS.
2) At each site edit the Namespace object so that Primary-name-server is the
server at that site, and Secondary-name-server is the server of the other site.
3) On the Namespace server at each site, run the function:
(neti:find-site :other-site-name) and that will let that world KNOW
about the other site, then do an Incremental-world-save.
These instructions sound kind of funky to me, I am quite supprised that you
need to run some undocumented function "neti:find-site" and then do the
incremental save. I would have thought that by just updating the namespaces
at each site in the appropriate way, the problem would be solved. Also, the
filling in of the secondary-name-server seems to be innapropriate because my
understanding of that functionality is that if one namespace server at a site
goes down, then the secondary server at that site is used for namespace info.
Does anyone out there have experience with this and could explain the reason for
the above steps (or other recommended ones).
Thanks much for the info.