automatic finding of matching paren in text mode, turning off

Anyone know how to turn off the automatic finding of matching parens in
text mode?  I have a file of notes I have been keeping for a couple of
years -- it's now about 70 blocks long.  My typical entries are of the

1) blah blah

2) more stuff

3) etc

Anyway, there are now 2356 more right parens than left parens in the
file.  If I accidently land on one of them, my machine goes catatonic
for about 15 seconds looking for a matching paren.  Is there any way to
turn this feature off?

(I guess I could change the parens to periods, but I'm holding out for a
better solution for the moment.)

-Bill Long