Re: defsystem

>> I've been trying to get rid of the interference by creating a defsystem
>> package for the pcl defsystem but it still interferes. Using another package
>> name (defsys) does not work either.
>>
>> Any suggestion?

Yes, the Allegro defsystem uses the "defsystem" (nicknames "defsys"
and "ds") package.  Try another name.

>> Also, is there a documentation on Franz defsystem?

I've included the only documentation there is (an expanded version of
this or something similar to it will be put in our User Guide in the
future).

;; -*- mode: text -*-
;; $Header: defsys.n,v 1.3 89/04/14 09:54:29 layer Exp $

  A `system' is a list of modules.  A `module' is a file plus some
information about the file and how it is to be processed.

  Each system has a name, there is a 1-1 mapping between systems and
system names.  Within a system each module has a name.  The name of
the module is the filename (a namestring).  Within a system there is a
1-1 mapping between modules and module names.

There are four operations you can do on systems:
  1. compile-system: cause all modules to be `compiled'.  This has
     different meanings depending on the module.
  2. load-system: cause the system to be loaded into the current lisp.
  3. mapsystem: apply a user-supplied function to the modules that
     make up the system.
  4. show-system: describe the system and its modules.

  In the description of functions below, a `system' argument refers to
the name of a system (a symbol or string naming the system).  If
symbols are used, then the package in which the symbol resides has no
meaning.

defsystem system options {modules}+			[macro]

  Create a new system with name SYSTEM and options taken from OPTIONS
  (possibly nil).  OPTIONS are keyword/value pairs, and the keywords
  are:
    :default-pathname
	The system's default pathname or where to find the modules of
	this system. This overrides *default-pathname-defaults* and is
	overridden by a :pathname option to a module specification.
    :default-package
	The package in which modules are to be read. This overrides
	*package* and is overridden by the :package option to a module
	specification.
    :needed-systems
	A list of systems, or systems, on which this system depends.
	They are compiled before compiling this system and loaded
	before loading this system.
    :load-before-compile
	A list of systems, or systems, that are to be loaded before
	this system is compiled.

  MODULES are a either symbols which represent the module name (ie,
  filename), or lists, with the car being the module name and the cdr
  being a list of module options:

    :load-before-compile
	A list of module names that are to be loaded before this
	module is compiled. Each module name can be either a symbol (a
	module name in the same system) or a list of two items, the
	car being the module name and the cadr being the system name).
    :compile-satisfies-load
	If the argument is non-nil, then this module is compiled and
	not loaded.
    :recompile-on
	A list of modules which, if neededing recompilation
	themselves, will cause this module to be recompiled.
    :pathname
	The pathname to this module.  It is merged with the module
	name to get the module pathname.
    :package
	The package in which this module is to be loaded or compiled.
    :compile-function function
	to compile this module, funcall 'function' and give it the
	pathname of the file to compile.
    :funcall-after function
    :funcall-after-args args
	After this module has been loaded, an (apply function args) is
	done if the :funcall-after `symbol' is non-nil.  Also, the
	default-package or module package is still in effect when the
	function is applied.
    :load-after
	A list of modules, or module names, which should be loaded
	after this module is loaded.  :load-after is done after
	:funcall-after, and in the same package as the module which
	loads it (the module may change its package, of course).
    :object-type "string"
	When this module is compiled the file type of the resulting
	object file will be "string".
    :target host
	If `host' is eq to comp::.target., then this file is
	considered `present' in the system, otherwise it is ignored
	(during compile-system, etc).
    :target-class arch
	If `arch' is eq to comp::*target-class*, then this file is
	considered `present' in the system, otherwise it is ignored
	(during compile-system, etc).

undefsystem system 					[macro]

  This removes knowledge of SYSTEM from the Lisp system.

load-system system &key :reload nil			[function]
			:include-components t
			:interpreted nil

  Load a system with name SYSTEM.  If RELOAD is non-nil, then
  load-system always reloads all the modules, otherwise only those
  modules which have been recompiled or are out-of-date are loaded.
  If INCLUDE-COMPONENTS is non-nil, then needed-systems, or
  component subsystems, are loaded before loading this system.  If
  INTERPRETED is non-nil, then the source files for the system are
  loaded instead of their compiled counterparts.

compile-system system &key :reload nil			[function]
			   :recompile nil
			   :include-components t

  Compile a system with SYSTEM.  If RELOAD is non-nil, it has the
  same effect as it does with load-system: any systems which are
  loaded during compilation are loaded with this option.  If
  RECOMPILE is non-nil then recompile each module, even though it
  may not need recompilation.

mapsystem function system				[function]

  Map FUNCTION over every module in SYSTEM, passing it three
  arguments: module, class and target.

list-system-pathnames &rest systems			[function]

  This returns a list of strings, corresponding to the pathnames for
  modules in each system given by SYSTEMS.

  This could easily be implemented using MAPSYSTEM, but when this was
  implemented MAPSYSTEM didn't exist.

show-system system					[function]

  This prints, in a nice way, the system and its properties.

*defsystem-systems*					[variable]

  A list of all the systems currently defined.