file i/o of binary data

I'd like to be able to do i/o (read and write) on a file containing binary (not
text) data, specifically, integers and single and double precision floats.  If
the answer is RTFM, kindly tell me which manual.  I know that it won't be
portable, since Common-Lisp (at least CLtL I) doesn't provide anything except
read-byte, which only handles ints, not floats.  I used to do this on a
Symbolics, but it required use of an internal system routine to fudge the
tag.

I'm using ACL 3.1 on an SGI.

Thanks

David Serafini