Status

This is my status file.

Please reply with individual messages about each issue.

At the face-to-face meeting before X3J13, we discussed the remaining
issues in Clarifications.txt. I will be sending out separate messages
about each of those under the heading of an issue name I will ascribe,
and will then add those issues to the status file.

 I intend to segment this status file into Active, Passed and Tabled
Indefinitely. (I suppose there might be some argument about dividing
things between Active and Tabled, but I urge you to avoid arguing about
it until there's an issue that I've marked Tabled that you want to
continue to discuss.)

!

Proposal format (Version 11)
 Format for proposals to the cleanup committee.
 Version 11 released 11-Jun-87.
 (Suggestion to add a Related Issues field.)

ADJUST-ARRAY-DISPLACEMENT (Version 3 / 5-jun-87)
 (Standardize interaction of adjust-array and displacement)
 Discussion about :displaced-to nil vs. no :displaced-to.
 Masinter to revise, clarify :displaced-to ommitted'
      same as :displaced-to nil.

ADJUST-ARRAY-NOT-ADJUSTABLE (version 1/22-apr-87)
 (Extend adjust-array so its OK on non-adjustable arrays.)
 Several comments which need reply
 Not ready for release.
 Notes from boston cl-cleanup meeting have *, but
  the mail traffic seems inconclusive.

* AREF-1D (Version 6/6 JUL 87)
 (Add a new function for accessing arrays with row-major-index)
 Version 5 released
 Conditionally passed at X3j13/Jun87 pending new version.
 Version 6 mailed to cl-cleanup.

ASSOC-RASSOC-IF-KEY (Version 2/15-Jun-87)
 (Extend ASSOC-IF, etc.  to allow :KEY)
 Not ready for release.
 Needs revision of current practice, test case, example. (KMP?)
 The summary says Version 2, but I only have version 1 on file.
 Does anyone else have a version 2? Or was this wishful thinking?

COMPILER-WARNING-BREAK (Version 2/7-Apr-87)
 (Does *BREAK-ON-WARNING* affect the compiler?)
 Questions on interaction with condition proposal.
 Is this an environment issue?
 Not released.
 Postponed pending error proposal

< COMPILER-WARNING-STREAM (Version 6/ 5-Jun-87)
 (Compiler warnings are printed on *ERROR-OUTPUT*)
 Version 6 passed X3J13/Jun87.

< DEFVAR-INITIALIZATION (Version 4/Jun-87)
 ((DEFVAR var) doesn't initialize)
 Version 4 passed X3J13/Jun87.

< DEFVAR-INIT-TIME (Version 2/29-May-87)
 (DEFVAR initializes when evaluated, not later.)
 Version 2 passed X3J13/Jun87.

DO-SYMBOLS-DUPLICATES (Version 2/29-May-87)
 (can DO-SYMBOLS see the same symbol twice?)
 Debate: extend so that both options are available?
 Not ready for release.
 Needs more information on implementation and
   performance cost.
 Masinter will rewrite, flush :ALLOWED option,
  rewrite :ADD-KEYWORDS to make default for
  :ALLOW-DUPLICATES as NIL., conversion cost => nil.

EVAL-DEFEATS-LINKER (Version 1/12 Jun-87)
 ("selective linking" means GC non-used symbols;
 proposal to change #., #, and part of FUNCTION-TYPE)
 Not ready for release.
   Was discussion at X3J13 conclusive?
   Should this issue be abandoned? (cc: clinger, please)

FILE-WRITE-DATE-IF-NOT-EXISTS
 (What does FILE-WRITE-DATE do if no such file?)
 Defer to condition system?
 In discussion, formal proposal not yet submitted.

< FLET-IMPLICIT-BLOCK (Version 6/ 5-Jun-87)
 (do FLETs have implicit named blocks around them?)
 Version 6 passed X3J13/Jun87.

< FORMAT-ATSIGN-COLON (Version 4/5-jun-87)
 ( @: == :@ in format)
 Version 4 passed X3J13/Jun87.

FORMAT-COMMA-INTERVAL (Version 1/10 June 87)
 (Allow another argument to ~D etc to paramerize digits between commas)
 Ready for release.

FORMAT-NEGATIVE-PARAMETERS
 In discussion, formal proposal not yet submitted.
 Notes: is this an editorial policy question rather than
   an individual issue?

< FORMAT-OP-C (Version 5/ 11-Jun-87)
 (What does ~C do?)
 Version 5 passed X3J13/Jun87.

FUNCTION-TYPE (Version 5/ 16-Jun-87)
 (Change definition of FUNCTIONP, function type ...)
 Draft released 16-Jun-87.
 Discussed at X3J13, new proposal due.

GC-MESSAGES (version 1)
 (Control over unsolicited GC messages in typescript)
 merge with other controls for unsolicited messages?
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman volunteered to revise.

* GET-SETF-METHOD-ENVIRONMENT (Version 5, 13-Jun-87)
 (Environment argument for GET-SETF-METHOD)
 Version 4 conditionally passed X3J13/Jun87.
 Version 5 mailed 13-Jul-87 13:18:47

IF-BODY (Version 7, 16-Jun-87)
 (extend IF to implicit progn if more than one ELSE form?)
 Draft released 16-Jun-87.
 Discussed at X3J13/Jun 87.
 Postpone pending resolution of policy on extensions?

IGNORE-ERRORS (Version 4, 29-May-87)
 (Introduce error catcher)
 Pitman will release as report from cleanup + error committee.
 (Was not released).

< IMPORT-SETF-SYMBOL-PACKAGE (Version 5/ 11-Jun-87)
 (Does IMPORT affect home package?)
 Version 5 passed X3J13/Jun87.

* KEYWORD-ARGUMENT-NAME-PACKAGE (Version 6/11 Jun 87)
 ( &KEY arguments not in keyword package?)
 Version 6 conditionally passed X3J13/Jun87.
 Examine wording and avoid "keyword argument" phrasing.
  Introduce phrase "a key argument" to denote arguments
  defined with &KEY ??

LOAD-TIME-EVAL (Version 1, 6 Jun 87)
 (New function/macro/special form for evaluation when
 compiled file is loaded?)
 Not ready for release.
 Deferred to compiler committee?

MACRO-FUNCTION-ENVIRONMENT
 (Add environment argument to MACRO-FUNCTION?)
 From ENVIRONMENT-ARGUMENTS
 Formal proposal not yet submitted.
 Masinter will extract from environment-arguments

* PATHNAME-STREAM (Version 2)
 (PATHNAME only works on file streams)
 Version 2 conditionally passed X3J13/Jun 87
 Needs revision to clarify "file" = "opened with open"
  (there are some non-file devices which have pathnames)

PATHNAME-SYMBOL (Version 2)
 (Do symbols automaticly coerce to pathnames?)
 Not ready for release.
 Moon will revise, extend language, clarify
   which functions are affected, etc.

PEEK-CHAR-READ-CHAR-ECHO (Version 1)
 (character interaction with echoing on terminal)
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman will revise & resubmit.

< PRINC-CHARACTER (Version 3)
 (PRINC behavior on character objections)
 Version 3 passed X3J13/Jun87.

PROCLAIM-LEXICAL  (Version 1)
 (add LEXICAL proclaimation, default binding type for
  undeclared free variables)
 Not ready for release.
 Rees & Moon will revise & resubmit. Rees says he won't.
 David?

PROMPT-FOR (Version 1)
 (add new function which prompts)
 Not ready for release.
 Tabled indefinitely.

PUSH-EVALUATION-ORDER
 (What order does (PUSH (A) (CAR (B))) evaluate (A) and (B)?)
 In discussion, formal proposal not yet submitted.
 Need volunteer to submit.

REQUIRED-KEYWORD-ARGUMENTS
 (Syntax for keyword arguments which must be supplied?)
 In discussion, formal proposal not yet submitted.
 Table indefinitely.

REMF-DESTRUCTION-UNSPECIFIED (Version 1)
 (How does REMF affect its arguments?)
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman will revise & resubmit.

SEQUENCE-FUNCTIONS-EXCLUDE-ARRAYS (Version 2)
 (FIND, SUBSTITUTE etc work on multi-dimensional arrays?)
 In discussion, no clear consensus
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman will revise & resubmit.

SHARPSIGN-BACKSLASH-BITS
 (What does C-META-H-X mean?)
 Not ready for release.
 Forward to Linden for character proposal?

SHARPSIGN-PLUS-MINUS-NUMBER
 (Is #+68000, #-3600 allowed?)
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman will revise & resubmit.

SHARPSIGN-PLUS-MINUS-PACKAGE
 (What package are *features* in?)
 Not ready for release.
 Pitman will revise & resubmit.

SPECIAL-FORM-SHADOW
 (Is it OK to shadow a special form with FLET, LABELS, MACROLET?)
 In discussion, no formal proposal submitted.
 Send to macro committee?

TAILP-NIL
 (Operation of TAILP given NIL)
 Not ready for release.
 Masinter will revise & resubmit.

UNWIND-PROTECT-CLEANUP-NON-LOCAL-EXIT (Version 1)
 (GO out of UNWIND-PROTECT clauses.)
 Not ready for release.
  Gabriel will revise & resubmit.