Re: Issue: FUNCTION-CALL-EVALUATION-ORDER (version 1)

I support FUNCTION-CALL-EVALUATION-ORDER:UNSPECIFIED.

    From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
    Date: Wed, 23 Mar 88 21:25:42 gmt

    Pavel says:
      The closest thing I could find in CLtL to a statement about argument
      evaluation order is the statement in the description of LET [...]

    Actually, CLtL *does* say what the order of argument evaluation is.
    It's on page 194, in the chapter on numbers:

	 ... This does not affect the order in which argument forms
	 are evaluated, of course; that order is always left to right,
	 as in all Common Lisp function calls.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

Also, p97 (in the description of SETF):

 "SETF carefully arranges to preserve the usual left-to-right order
  in which the various subforms are evaluated."

and again on p102 (in the description of DEFSETF):

 "The implementation of DEFSETF takes care of ensuring that the
  subforms of the reference are evaluated exactly once and in the
  proper left-to-right order."

I will be happy to draft a separate proposal for the argument evaluation
order if people prefer to discuss that issue independently of the function
position. Certainly there is likely to be less (or different) controversy
on that issue, so separating them might not be unreasonable.