ISSUE: VARIABLE-LIST-ASYMMETRY (Version 1)

I'm happy to see this issue raised. This stupid little inconsistency
has been irritating me and others for a while now.

However, I recommend re-casting the proposal to permit all three forms.
The rationale for that is:

 - Most implementations provide all three versions since Maclisp
   did. In cases where there is a pre-CL tradition, that's usually
   the winner.

 - Regularization is nice, but some may find it gratuitous. To
   minimize code breakage, the right thing is to only add cases,
   not remove any, if that is feasible. In this case, it is
   trivially possible. Simply add ``(VAR)'' for DO and DO*
   and ``VAR'' for LET/LET*.

Btw, in Current Practice, Symbolics Genera permits all three forms.