not about Issue: HASH-TABLE-ACCESS (version 1)

    Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 19:10 EDT
    From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    I'll support this, though I would -really- like to see this business of
    the test (EQ vs #'EQ) resolved.

    Personally, I feel that since the set is non-extensible, we ought to
    change it to allow only :EQ, :EQL, or :EQUAL (and permit implementations
    to accept other values for compatibility). Then the value returned
    by HASH-TABLE-TEST could be deterministically :EQ (or whatever) and
    we could do away with the popular Trivial Pursuit (TM) question about
    how the test is recognized. I think it would simplify a lot of things.
    If people buy this, I will write it up as a separate cleanup item.

I am strongly opposed to this.  It would be horrible for this to be
incompatible with every other :TEST keyword argument in the language.
Also I deny that it is non-extensible.  Common Lisp doesn't currently
provide a way to make it extensible, but in fact that is very easy to
add; SCL has it.