Issue: DECLARE-TYPE-FREE (Version 1)

   Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 19:20:19 PDT
   From: Jon L White <jonl@lucid.com>

   I raised this issue at the Fort Collins meeting last November, suggesting
   that it was an unintended aberration in CLtL.  But Guy Steele quickly
   defended it, and promised to write down his objection to the "ALLOW"
   interpretation and mail them out (this was in a plenary session, and was
   only partially relevant to the item under discussion.)  To date, I don't
   recall seeing his objections, but he should cough them up now or forever
   hold his peace.

Having pondered the matter, I have concluded that the me of September 1988
is considerably less wedged than the me of November 1987 (this follows from
the more general theorem that the me of now always judges itself less
wedged than me's of other times, past or future), and therefore I will
hold my peace.

In other words, I see the utility of the proposal, and have no overriding
objections that hold water.
--Guy