Issue: DEFPACKAGE (version 2)

re: ... I simply don't buy your arguments. ...
    I think all your arguments are variations on: using symbols
    with package prefixes in a DEFPACKAGE form is more dangerous than
    using symbols with package prefixes in other forms.  My position
    is that DEFPACKAGE is no different from anything else in this respect.

Either you are not reading the same May criticisms, or you're not
understanding them fully.  In very simplified form, they are:

  -- Everything done by :IMPORT can be done with :IMPORT-FROM; thus
     :IMPORT is redundant (and similarly for :SHADOWING-IMPORT).

  -- :IMPORT _requires_ symbols and cannot accept strings; thus
     :IMPORT-FROM has greater flexibility;

  -- At package-creation time the user can, with proper imports, virtually
     subsume all need for double-colon syntax in the remaining code; but
     his purpose is defeated if he has to use double-colons in the creator
     expression. [We discuss elsewhere how double-colons cause trouble].

Only one of the three arguments is about the danger of altering other
random packages while merely *** reading in *** some package creator
expressions.  I'm really surprised that you haven't seen this problem
before, since DEFPACKAGE is in fact nothing beyond the capability now
in use of doing (PROGN (SHADOW...) (EXPORT ...) (USE-PACKAGE ...) ...)
[Incidentally, the problem is never caused by just "using symbols with
package prefixes", but rather by using double-colon prefixes.  I'm sure
you're aware of that already.]

At least with top level calls to IMPORT, you can say either:
     (A) (import 'loser::bar)
     (B) (import (intern "BAR" "LOSER"))
     (C) (import (or (find-symbol "BAR" "LOSER") (error "Missing Symbol")))
but in the current state of the DEFPACKAGE proposal, there is no capability
equivalent to (B) or (C) for the :IMPORT option.  Hence the desirabililty
of not adding a *dangerous* construct to the language when a harmless one
-- :IMPORT-FROM -- is already planned.

The point of all this not to say that defpackage as proposed is guaranteed
to cause irreconcilable name-conflict problems.   Rather, I think that the
penalty for minor order-of-event mistakes should be a continuable error
signalled before the damage is done, rather than the situation that Richard
Greenblatt described at the Fort Collins meeting.

The last mail interchange back in May concerned whether or not :IMPORT-FROM
should complain if the requested symbol didn't already exist, or whether
it should take the possibly dangerous step of creating it quietly.   A part
of that interchange is copied below, since it is highly relevant to the
"dangerousness" issue.

-- JonL --