Issue: MAKE-PACKAGE-USE-DEFAULT (version 1)

re: ... I don't see how any implementation could be
    said not to implement such a proposal!

The issue is not current practice, but CLtL p.183.  Indeed, the "Cost"
section points out this obvious situation.

re: Had you intended to propose something specific about the value of
    (package-use-list "USER")?  Had you intended to propose something
    specific about the default for the :use argument to MAKE-PACKAGE?  Had
    you intended to propose that these must be equal?

No.

On the otherhand, I would expect that most vendors would set their
default in such a way as to make all LISP symbols available, as well
as their vendor-specific ones.   But I see no need to spell this out,
since portable code will have to use an explicit :use LISP.

-- JonL --