Re: Issue: PATHNAME-SUBDIRECTORY-LIST (Version 4)

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 10:53:28 EST
 From: Dan L. Pierson <pierson>

    I'm not advocating adding such a feature, just not precluding us from
    defining one in the future.  Perhaps we should add a line something like:

      "Implementations may permit objects of types other than keywords and
      strings as elements of the pathname-directory list."

    Even without a statement of this kind, I support the proposal.

Since we seem to be adopting an overall conformance extensions
position of "everything not explicity permitted is forbidden", I
strongly support this change.  While I will probably vote for the
proposal without the change, note that raising this issue then
rejecting the change amounts to an explicit statement by X3J13 that
such extensions are prohibited.  I think this would be very
unfortunate.