Re: Issue: PATHNAME-COMPONENT-CASE (Version 2)

> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 11:05:29 EST
> From: Dan L. Pierson <pierson@mist.encore.com>
>
> Are you saying that there is no portable way to make any desired
> pathname or that even if you limit your program to a "portable" subset
> of file names that there is no portable way to manipulate them.
>
> Such a portable subset might be a single alphabetic case, digits, 0 or
> 1 period, and no more than 14 characters total.  You might be able to
> add underscore are well.

Yup, that's what I'm saying.  We ran into this problem while trying to
port PCLS to the Cray running CTSS a few years ago.  The file system
had no concept of directories or file types, and file names were
restricted to 6 characters.

Also, the Atari ST's file system (and MS-DOS also?) supports only
1-character device names, 8-character file names and 3-character file
types.  As I recall, IBM's VM/CMS (and I think MVS/TSO too) delimits
the file name and file type with a space instead of a period.

-Sandra
-------