Issue: PATHNAME-SUBDIRECTORY-LIST (version 6)

   From: sandra%defun@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)
   Date: Thu, 25 May 89 13:51:59 MDT

   The comments I made on issue PATHNAME-COMPONENT-VALUE also apply here.
   In particular, I'm not personally motivated to add such a feature
   because I've never had any need to manipulate hierarchical directories
   from within a Common Lisp program.  Any program that does so is
   necessarily nonportable.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your last sentence.  A program that
*insists* on using hierarchical directories may be nonportable,
but a program that is *prepared* to deal with them if the local
file system happens to contain them is not necessarily nonportable,
and indeed may me more portable than a program thast insists on
dealing with directories in a nonhierarchical manner.
--Guy