Issue WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT

I strongly oppose the behavior you proposed for compile and compile-file.  It
is my belief that whether to override or not must be controlled through an
argument to the compile functions, with the default being to override.
Otherwise, all existing code which makes use of the compile functions must
be modified to protect itself by wrapping a
(with-compilation-unit (:override t) ...) around the calls to the compiler.

Consider a stream system built on an object system which will compose and
compile functions on the fly on an as needed basis.  It would be very strange
for the functions so generated while doing file io for the user's compile-file
to have any relationship with said compile-file.

I agree with your position that implementation-dependent extensions must be
explicitly requested.

kab
-------