#, implementation

The question of efficiency of referencing a constant data structure
created with #, versus referencing a special variable has been raised.
I have never really studied an implementation of #, so I don't have
much of a feel for this.  Can any of you folks comment on what happens
in your implementation?  The person who raised the issue thought that #,
would be much faster, but my gut feeling is that it would be about the
same speed.

Also, I'm curious to know:  what does your reader return for #, and how
does the compiler recognize it when it's buried inside of a QUOTE form?

-Sandra
-------