Re: non-top-level DEFUN

In the past, A contingent at Symbolics offered this as an objection to
non-top-level DEFUNs, but nobody else seemed to buy it.  Yes COMPILE will
choke on functions defined in a non-null environment.  No, this does not
prevent incremental development, since in any reasonable incremental
development environment, you will hardly ever use COMPILE.

In your example, in our environment, I would compile the entire LET
together with both DEFUNs by using the editor "Compile Defun" command.

  Rob