issue PROCLAIM-ETC-IN-COMPILE-FILE

    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 89 15:55:47 MDT
    From: sandra%defun@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)

    When we last left this issue, we had eliminated proposals YES and NO
    and were debating new names for the DEFPROCLAIM macro in proposal
    NEW-MACRO.

    Talking to some people informally afterwards, the two suggestions that
    appeared to have the most support were DECLAIM and PROCLAMATION.
    However, some people said they didn't like DECLAIM because it might be
    too obscure for non-native English speakers, and some people said they
    didn't like PROCLAMATION because they thought the name should be a
    verb.

    I don't remember the list of all the others that were mentioned
    (except PROCLARE, which wasn't intended to be a serious suggestion).
    Consulting a thesaurus, I find some additional synonyms:

	advertise
	advise
	announce
	annunciate
	broadcast
	disseminate
	promulgate
	pronounce
	publish

    Of these, my favorites are ADVISE and ANNOUNCE.

    (Oh yes, DECLAIM has a totally different set of synonyms, including
    orate, bloviate (!), harangue, rant, and rave.  Is this really the
    right connotation we want to give to this construct?)

    -Sandra
    -------

None of these sound good to me.  In fact, most of them sound like output functions.
I'd suggest trying from the synonyms of assert:
	affirm
	asseverate
	aver
	avouch