Re: issue COMPILE-FILE-SYMBOL-HANDLING, version 3

> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 09:25:06 PDT
> From: Patrick Dussud <dussud@lucid.com>
>
>      (1) The value of *PACKAGE* when a top-level form in the file is processed
> 	 by COMPILE-FILE must be the same as the value of *PACKAGE* when the
> 	 code corresponding to that top-level form in the compiled file is
> 	 executed.  In particular:
>
> You mean loaded instead of executed right?

I don't think "load" is the right word here because it's an operation
on files, not forms.  The forms in the file are executed as part of
this, though.  I'll have to think about it.

>      If all of these conditions hold, then when a compiled file is
>      loaded, the interned symbols it references are found by calling
>      INTERN at load time with two arguments, the name of the symbol and
>      the package with the same name as the compile-time symbol's home
>      package.  If no such package exists, an error is signalled.
>
> I think this should be removed. It clearly is overspecification. We should
> specify behaviour of conforming programs. You are trying to describe the
> behavior of an implementation. Besides, this is incompatible with the current
> package practice, because they lose the home package when they dump.
> I will be perfectly happy with just the requirement 1 and 2.

I disagree -- this paragraph is the key to the whole proposal.  The
previous items are requirements for a program to be valid.  This
paragraph says how valid programs behave.  If we delete it, we will
still have no statement of how symbols referenced in the source code
for a file relate to the symbols in the compiled code for that file.

I do not believe what this paragraph is trying to say is incompatible
with the "current package" model because of item (2) -- if a symbol is
accessible in *PACKAGE* (and hence has no home package information),
the same symbol must also be accessible in the home package.  Now that
I look over the exact wording here though, it does rather give the
impression that implementations must remember the home package.
Suppose I changed it to say:

   ...the interned symbols it references are found as if INTERN were
   called at load time with two arguments....

-Sandra
-------