issue COMPILE-FILE-SYMBOL-HANDLING, version 3

   From: sandra%defun@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 10:46:06 MDT

   I don't think "load" is the right word here because it's an operation
   on files, not forms.  The forms in the file are executed as part of
   this, though.  I'll have to think about it.
I see your point. Maybe processed would convey what you want to say?

   I disagree -- this paragraph is the key to the whole proposal.  The
   previous items are requirements for a program to be valid.  This
   paragraph says how valid programs behave.  If we delete it, we will
   still have no statement of how symbols referenced in the source code
   for a file relate to the symbols in the compiled code for that file.

   I do not believe what this paragraph is trying to say is incompatible
   with the "current package" model because of item (2) -- if a symbol is
   accessible in *PACKAGE* (and hence has no home package information),
   the same symbol must also be accessible in the home package.  Now that
   I look over the exact wording here though, it does rather give the
   impression that implementations must remember the home package.
   Suppose I changed it to say:

      ...the interned symbols it references are found as if INTERN were
      called at load time with two arguments....
That's much better.

Patrick.