Re: draft of alternate proposal for EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL

    Date: Mon, 6 Mar 89 21:08 EST
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    However, here's my real problem with all this.  I'm trying to figure out
    what the standard should say about the expansion of the CLOS
    defining-form macros.  I know that they should be defined in terms of
    EVAL-WHEN.  The continuing instability of EVAL-WHEN, and the large
    amount of mail to plow through, is really interfering with my ability to
    figure anything out.  That may well say more about me than about
    EVAL-WHEN, but it's still a fact.  I wish I could force myself to ignore
    everything you're doing and just use the CLtL definition of EVAL-WHEN
    for now.

You're right, this has dragged on much too long.  Since
GENERALIZE-EVAL-NEW-KEYWORDS in Version 5 seems to be the best
proposal so far, I support it.  I'm not as opposed to Sandra's new
proposal as you are; but since I also don't see any major advantages
to it, the incompatibility isn't worth it.

I would very much like to see what GENERALIZE-EVAL-NEW-KEYWORDS will
do to DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL before voting for the former.  I
still want to be able to wrap a LET around a couple of DEFUNs and have
it all work correctly!