Re: CLtl Natural Languages Subcommittee

I had hoped that this committee could deal also with the issue of font
and font attributes as well as character codes. I'd been filing things
under the heading of "Common Lisp Characters", since that seemed to have
the broader charter.

My comments at the last X3J13 committee is that, while there may still
be important reasons for retaining a user-visible distinction between
thin-simple-string and simple-string, there seemed to be little or no
reason to have any visible distinction between thin-string and string,
since the general string case, with displacement and the like, can be
implemented as efficiently.

This modification of the JEIDA proposal removes most of its complexity
while retaining most of its benefits.