Re: Subcommittee name, scope, JEIDA response

    Date: Fri, 23 Oct 87 11:18 EDT
    From: Robert W. Kerns <RWK@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    I'm here again.  I just got past a release deadline (with more work than
    I expected), so I'll be resuming work on my proposal.  Sorry for the
    delay.  I thought I had everything taken care of before I went on vacation,
    but you know how it goes.

I'm here now also.  I had thought that this committee had not yet gotten
started since I hadn't seen any of the mail sent to this list so far (as you
might have guessed since I didn't repond to either of the two requests for an
acknowledgement.)  Anyway, I just recently discovered that the master
distribution list at SAIL contained a mail address for me which didn't work.
For future reference, anyone wishing to send mail to me should use the
following address:

  CWH%ILA.Dialnet.Symbolics.COM@Symbolics.COM

I just finished reading the archive of the mail to this list to date, so I'll
respond to a few items.

I will not be able to attend the Characters Committee meeting at the November
X3J13 meeting since I will be in Tokyo for five weeks beginning November 9.
However, I will be reading mail (including mail to this list) while in Tokyo.
I also plan to meet with Prof. Ida, so if this group manages to form a
concensus around the end of November or early December, I may be able to
discuss it with him.

The message to JEIDA looked fine.  I would have made a few minor changes, but
there's no point in mentioning them now.

There was some discussion of the issue of JEIDA members on the
CL-Natural-Languages mailing list.  I can easily add Eiji Shiota to our local
redistribution list if no one objects.

I thought that Dave Moon was also going to be a member of the committee.  When
I spoke with him briefly at the last X3J13 meeting, he outlined a radically
different approach to solving some of the character problems than the ones
I've seen presented so far.  I think we should give careful attention to it.