From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Subject: SHARPSIGN-BACKSLASH-BITS
To: CL-Cleanup@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
cc: KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM

Issue:        SHARPSIGN-BACKSLASH-BITS
Category:     CLARIFICATION
Edit history: Revision 1 by KMP 02/27/87
Problem Description:

  The description of names for characters that has bits gives examples
without
  clearly specifying the meaning of the bit names.

Proposal (SHARPSIGN-BACKSLASH-BITS:SHORT-AND-LONG):

  It should be clearly stated at the appropriate point (currently on
p354)
  that the names "C" and "CONTROL" mean control, "M" and "META" mean
meta,
  "S" and "SUPER" mean "SUPER", and "H" and "HYPER" mean hyper. It
should
  further specified that these can be mixed and matched, as in
"C-META-X".

Rationale:

  We give examples of both styles, so both styles should be
well-defined.
  If these are not going to be well-defined, there's no point in our
giving
  examples of them.

Current Practice:

  Most implementations support both short and long names to back up the
bit
  names that they allow.

  Some implementations accept only the short name. Others only the long
name.

Adoption Cost:

  The cost of this change is very small.

Benefits:

  If an input syntax is going to reliably exist, we need to say so.

Conversion Cost:

  User code is not likely to be adversely affected. Most users will
likely
  perceive this as a bug fix.

Aesthetics:

  This doesn't much affect aesthetics one way or the other.

  KMP thinks this is a good idea.