A reply and some more thoughts on specializing built-in

    The domain of functions in the silver book for which SPECIALIZABLE-P
    returns T can start at () and increase over time as we understand
    the implementation impact of extending the list.

I like this way of separating the issues.

One other comment: Even if the list of specializable functions in
portable Common Lisp code is () or very short, that would not prevent
implentors from using the CommonLoops machinery for defining sequence
functions, equal, or other things internal to their own systems, just as
nothing prevents the Lisp Machine people from using flavors in
implementing their I/O streams and such.

-- Scott