indefinite extent of call-next-method

Pavel is right, of course.

I don't find Jim's argument convincing at all.  To my mind,
call-next-method is a function that is closed over the identity
of the next method and the arguments to be passed to it, just
as a function defined by labels with a free reference that is
captured in an outer scope is closed over the variable in the
free reference.  In both cases it's equally true and equally
irrelevant to the scope of the closure that the value of the
closed-over variable is only known at run time.