Moon described as:

    Date: Wed, 21 Oct 87 12:57 EDT
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

						    To my mind,
    call-next-method is a function that is closed over the identity
    of the next method and the arguments to be passed to it, just
    as a function defined by labels with a free reference that is
    captured in an outer scope is closed over the variable in the
    free reference.  In both cases it's equally true and equally
    irrelevant to the scope of the closure that the value of the
    closed-over variable is only known at run time.

-------