Re: add-method when method exists

     Date: Mon, 28 Dec 87 14:53 EST
     From: "David A. Moon" <Moon@scrc-stony-brook.arpa>
     Subject: Re: add-method when method exists

     3)Should add-method become add-or-replace-method
I agree with the semantics, I would propose to keep the name as simple as possible.
If we qualify the name, people will expect to find other variations like
add-or-complain-method....

     4) Precisely when are errors signaled

Since we allow forward references for classes, we need to allow illegal states
for generic functions temporarily.
The following code should be allowed:

(defgeneric trash (object)
    (:documentation "destroy the contents of object"))

(defclass foo (bar) ...)
(defmethod trash :after ((object foo))
   ...)
(defclass bar () ...)
(defmethod trash ((object bar))
   ...)

At least add-method shouldn't complain if a daemon method is added and there is no
primary method.

Patrick.