Re: CLOS defining macros & compilation

>   The descriptions of the expansions of the DEFCLASS, DEFMETHOD, and
>   DEFGENERIC macros in the meta-object protocol document assume that
>   lexical environment objects received with &ENVIRONMENT have indefinite
>   extent.

Not really, unless you've noticed something I missed.  Some objects in
the environment (class definitions in particular) have an extent
corresponding to the duration of the invocation of COMPILE-FILE, but the
environment objects themselves, as received by a macro, do not need to
be used outside the extent of that macro invocation.