macroexpansions of the user interface macros

I think I made some substantial progress in figuring out the
macroexpansions of the user interface macros, although I don't
have anything to show yet.  I am currently up against a roadblock
and I wonder if you can shed any light on it.  The briefest
description of the problem is that your metaobject document seems
confused about where the name-to-object translations happen.
For defclass, is it inside of ensure-class or outside of it?
The most problematic name-to-object translation is the one from
the surface syntax of slot definitions to the direct-slot-definition
objects.

Don't debug the document right now, just tell me whether your philosophy
is to put it inside or outside of ensure-class.