Anybody there?

This mailing list has been rather quiet the last few weeks, and I am
curious as to whether this reflects lack of interest, confusion as to
the next step, or distraction due to other things (e.g., elections,
cl-object-oriented-programming discussions, or ....).

We have a range of interests represented by people on this mailing
list, and I'd like to ask a few questions to get things rolling again.

1. What LISP or LISPs do you currently use?

2. Are you primarily a user or an implementor?

3. For those of you who are currently using non-common LISP's, such as
InterLISP, FranzLISP, PSL, etc, what is your plan for Common LISP?

	a. Ignore it
	b. Hand translate code to CL and switch to some implementation
	c. Develop a compatibility module for (a subset of) Common LISP
           in your LISP.
	d. Develop a translator for your LISP to Common LISP.
	e. Convert or extend your LISP to include a significant
           Common LISP subset.
	f. Begin an implementation of CL on your hardware.
	g. Other (?)

4. If you are a common LISP user or implementor, do you have a plan to
   provide a compatibility route for "foreign" LISPS, such as by
   mechanical translation, or compatibility module?

5. If your plan includes the identification of a subset CL
   (perhaps because you only need or can only afford to implement
    a subset on your machine, in your compatibility module, or
    your translator),
   could you summarize what criteria you are using to define your subset?

6. Some of the previous messages indicated that subsets were important for:

	a. Small (weak, "unreal", "obselete") machines
	b. Efficiency
	c. Ease of implementatation
	d. Interchange of code between workers who do not yet have a full CL
        e. Export subsets for canned applications; some people
           suggested a mechanical "disemboweling" would suffice,
           but others felt this would make combining applications difficult.
        f. Other (?)

   For what reasons might you consider a subset?

7. Do you see a single subset as sufficient, or do you envision a family
   of subsets, appropriate for different reasons?

8. Do you have a subset proposal ready to present to this group, or are
   you working on one?

I will send my own detailed responses to these questions shortly. I am
involved in examining CL subsetting issues with members of the
Standard LISP and PSL communities, here at Hewlett-Packard and
elsewhere.

Martin.

-------