he forgot at MCC ...  In case you are or know who wanted the info ...

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 03:14 CST
From: David Schatsky <delphi!david@Sun.COM>

   I work for an Italian company called Delphi.  Delphi was founded in
   '82 and has about 60 people working in A.I., open systems, and
   distribution of various products including worstations and
   supercomputers.  Delphi hired me to help them become an international
   company, and I'm responsible for international sales of Delphi's A.I.
   products.  The main product is Delphi Common Lisp, a brief description
   of which I've appended to the end of this message.

   Bill told me that some people might be interested in
   Delphi Common Lisp for your work.  What do you think?

   Regards,

   David SCHATSKY (david@delphi.uucp)
   Delphi S.p.A.
   Via della Vetraia, 11
   I-55049 Viareggio, Italy

   Tel: +39 (584) 395225
   Fax: +39 (584) 395366
   tlx: 501542 DELPHI I

   Delphi Common Lisp (DCL) is a complete implementation of Common Lisp
   derived from the popular implementation from Kyoto University.  It has
   all of the advantages of Kyoto implementation such as:

	   - Complete implementation

	   - Robust

	   - small size--can run with 4MB

	   - good C interface--Lisp and C can be intermixed
	     in same file and Lisp can invoke C functions

   Plus, Delphi Common Lisp has several major extensions which make it a
   much more complete Common Lisp programming environment:

	   - Performance enhancements.  DCL performs at +/- 10% of Lucid
	     on the Gabriel benchmarks.

	   - An integrated implementation of the Common Lisp Object
	     System (CLOS).  Delphi implemented CLOS from scratch
	     and optimized for the data structures used in the DCL
	     kernel.  The meta-object protocol is not yet supported.

	   - Multithread support for concurrency.  The Multithread
	     primitives can also be used to implement semaphores, OCCAM
	     channels and other typical concurrency schemes.  A small
	     amount of code can be written to emulate efficiently
	     the concurrency metaphors of other Lisps.  Delphi has
	     already implemented extensions to CLOS to allow the definition
	     of concurrent synchronizable atomic methods.

	   - High-performance CLX interface to the X Window System.
	     Delphi's CLX performs as much as 40 times faster than the
	     public domain versions floating around.

   Pricing of DCL is good, at around $2000 for the Sun 3.  It currently
   runs on all the Suns (2, 3, 4, 386i) and Apollo DN.  A version for
   386/Unix is in beta test.  Ports are in the works for other workstations
   (HP, IBM, Sony), as well as new architecture machines like NCube,
   Multiflow, and Cray.

;rob

  Robert C. Pettengill, MCC Software Technology Program
  P. O. Box 200195, Austin, Texas  78720
  ARPA:  rcp@mcc.com            PHONE:  (512) 338-3533
  UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!rcp