gcontext and draw-foo with white-pixel foreground??

I have a strange problem with xlib:draw-rectangle.  Perhaps
someone will recognize it and tell me what's going on.

The first time I call draw-rectangle in a program, I set
gcontext-foreground to screen-white-pixel and try to draw a
white rectangle on a black background.  For some reason
what I am getting is a black rectangle on a black background.
What I have to do is set gcontext-foreground to
black-pixel, draw a rectangle, THEN set gcontext-foreground
to white-pixel and draw the rectangle I want.  I spent a
day trying other things to figure out what was happening
(i.e., fiddling with set-window-background, etc.).  Nothing
else helped.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be something
in draw-rectangle which is doing some interesting stuff
appending requests.  Anyone have an idea?

John Brolio
(413) 545-3279

brolio@cs.umass.edu