CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Experiences with CLIM

    Date: Thu, 8 Nov 1990 06:14 EST
    From: Bernd Wild <bwild%fzi.uka.de@relay.cs.net>

    Ok, we have received CLIM 0.9 from Franz for ACL 3.1 about 20 days
    ago. Since there we have done some testing with it to compare it against
    the CLIM prerelease on Symbolics.

Which CLIM prerelease on Symbolics, just out of curiosity?

                                      First, CLIM is relatively slow, i.e.
    if you push your frame via X on an X-Server CLIM blocks that server
    for a few seconds before it starts to paint the frame.

Lest CLIM undeservedly acquire a reputation for slowness, I should point
out the Symbolics CLIM running on Genera beats the pants off of Dynamic
Windows in terms of performance.  Symbolics CLIM running on 386's under
CLOE also has surprisingly good performance, comparable to Dynamic
Windows running on my 3645.  Furthermore, in addition to improving the
general robustness of CLIM, we have been steadily improving the
performance, and anticipate that when we more broadly release CLIM
with Genera 8.1 (and the next minor release of CLOE 3), it will be
faster still.
                                                           We succeeded in
    starting the address book demo and the CAD demo, but when resizing the
    x-window no refresh happened although the mouse-sensitive regions
    were still present on the now empty frame.

    I hope that these bugs will be removed in the next version

CLIM is evolving from prototype to product, and fixing reams of bugs is
a natural part of that process.
                                                               and I
    understand the comment ILA is making not to use 0.9 for commercial
    software projects.

0,,