CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Using Processes in CLIM

    Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 10:36:08 EST
    From: kab@chestnut.com (Kim Barrett)

    I don't have any problem with the internal-to-CLIM substrate making use of
    implementation specific features to do its job.  I am concerned that some of
    that internal substrate might get shifted into the external interface
    inappropriately.

That's a valid concern, which is why we are discussing putting it in a
package other than CLIM:, and I also think we need the documentation to
be very clear what the story is.

    For example, I'd really hate to see CLIM applications
    explicitly dispatching on the *multiprocessing-p* variable you mentioned.

Are there really more than three choices?
 -- Do nothing.  [Pressure from users is making this harder.]
 -- Abstract multiprocessing so that is is globally and universally
    usable in all tasking models?  [If possible, I'm not sure this will
    result in anything usable.]
 -- Define ways to get to the various models, thus requiring
    applications to know the various models and interact with them.  [I
    agree this isn't aesthetic, but I'm really at a loss of what other
    alternatives exist.  I'm wide open to suggestions.  Hint, Hint.]

0,,