CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CLIM families/versions

    Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1991 20:58 EDT
    From: robert futrelle <futrell@corwin.ccs.northeastern.edu>

    We have been using ILA's CLIM 0.9 Developer's Pre-release
    with various patches from ILA, running under Genera 8.
    Genera 8.1 will be coming out soon with Symbolics' version
    of CLIM.  Franz is shipping its CLIM for Suns.

    We use Symbolics, Suns and Macs.  I have never seen anyone
    list what is available (or will soon be available) for CLIM
    work on these platforms.  In particular, what is the latest
    in terms of compatibility across platorms?  For the
    machines we're talking about this means (at least) three
    vendors (Symbolics, ILA and Franz, not sure about Lucid's plans)
    and three languages, Genera, Allegro, MACL (again, I haven't
    heard much from Lucid/Sun).
Symbolics CLIM 1.0 (available with Genera 8.1, early release for Genera
8.0 available now by request) will also be available from Franz early
this summer.  This is also the same version of CLIM which will be available
with the next version of Symbolics CLOE for the 386 (early release also
available on request).  In addition, this code and documentation has been
made available to ILA, who in turn are expected to offer a version for Lisp
on the Mac, as well as making it available to Lucid.  In short, this summer,
CLIM 1.0 should be available under Genera on Symbolics workstations, under
DOS and MS-Windows 3.0 on 80386 and 80486 PCs, under MACL 2.0 and MAC OS 7.0
on Macs, and on Franz Allegro and Lucid CL on Sun and other Unix workstations.
Check with your Lisp vendor or ILA for more details.

    We are VERY concerned about portability because we owe it
    to our sponsor (NSF) and ourselves to have as much portability
    as possible.  But I find it hard to make plans, not knowing
    what the picture is (maybe it's in a lot of flux?).
Everyone involved with CLIM is similarly concerned with issues of portability.

    All I've heard is that Franz's CLIM is now based on the Symbolics
    implmentation.  That's why I'm confused -- should be do further
    work using the ILA system or wait or switch.
In addition to offering CLIM 1.0, the above mentioned vendors are also cooperating
on a specification for CLIM 2.0, which like CLIM 0.9 will offer adaptive toolkit
capabilities.  ILA is surely in the best position to advise you about switching or
waiting.  In general, we think such decisions will be best made on the basis of
individual needs.

    Would appreciate advice/discussion from all you CLIMmers who
    must be facing some of these same decisions yourselves.
Such discussion will be of value to all the cooperating vendors, as well as to fellow
CLIM users!

    with bated breath,

      bob futrelle

       Prof. Robert P. Futrelle