CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Program & Registration Form for 1991 Lisp Users Group Conference

This is an ascii version of the scanned from the official registration
brochure.
A LISP Community Town Meeting: The First International Lisp Users
  and Vendors Conference

October 28 - November 1, 1991
Gaithersburg Marriott, Gaithersburg, Maryland

Keynote speakers:
Ian Campbell, VP of Information Technology, Lamb-Cargate Industries, LTD
Marc Le Brun, Director, Advanced Technology, Autodesk
Steve Pelletier, Senior VP of Engineering & Chief Technical Officer, Interleaf

Participating Vendors (in alphabetical order):
  AIT
  Apple Computer, Inc.
  Blackboard Technology Group, Inc.
  Chestnut Software, Inc.
  College Park Software
  Franz, Inc.
  Gold Hill Computers, Inc.
  Harlequin, Ltd.
  Ibuki
  Lucid, Inc.
  Symbolics, Inc.
  Top Level, Inc.
  Venue
Preliminary Schedule, Conference Information and Registration

INTRODUCTION

The First International Lisp User's and Vendor's conference has
been scheduled for October 28-November 1, in Gaithersburg, MD,
20 minutes outside of Washington, D.C.  for the purpose of
advancing the use of the Common Lisp programming language in the
marketplace.

This conference is a chance for the Lisp user community to meet
with the Lisp vendors, to share their success stories, and to
provide feedback to the vendors about our needs and priorities
as customers in order to ensure future successes.   For those
who have experienced its power, Lisp is the clear language of
choice for a variety of applications, but we have sometimes been
ineffective at communicating its strengths to others who have
not used it.  A primary focus of the meeting will be to
articulate Lisp's strengths and our success stories, so that as
a community we have the tools necessary to reinforce and
increase the Lisp user base.

Lisp is a powerful general purpose programming language that has
enabled the development of significant innovations in the
software industry.  Among these innovations are object-oriented
programming, integrated development environments, and machine
independent user interfaces. Lisp has been critical in the
development of artificial intelligence technologies because it
supports the rapid analysis, design and implementation of large
software systems. Lisp has enabled programmers to produce large,
sophisticated software systems which would be difficult or
impossible to develop and maintain in other languages.

Common Lisp is in the process of becoming an ANSI standard and,
if accepted, will become the first standardized object-oriented
programming language.  This is an important milestone in Lisp's
development-- demonstrating both its maturity as a language and
leadership in the object-oriented market.  We must work together
with the Lisp vendors to make sure that we take proper advantage
of this and other important achievements which Lisp has made in
order to strengthen and expand the Lisp user community.  As an
organized force, we can help map a course for future innovations
in tools for development, integration and delivery; programming
paradigms; and program development environments.

Technical, managerial, marketing, and sales representatives from
each of the lisp vendors above will be attending.  Participation
from all vendors with Lisp or Lisp-based products is encouraged.

Conference Chairman:	             Conference Organizer:
Jim Aragones	                     Laura Lotz
GE-CRD Kl -5c30	                     Shelanski Associates
P.O. Box 8	                     P.O. Box 294
Schenectady, NY 12301	             Malvern, PA 19355-0294
518/387-6967	                     215/65l-0936
jka@vega.crd.ge.com

PRELIMINARY PROGRAM SCHEDULE

Everyday, 8:30-9 Continental Breakfast

Monday, October 28 - 9-11:30		Tuesday, October 29 - 9-11:30
	Common Lisp I				Common Lisp III
	CLOS I					CLIM I
	Interfacing				Closures
						SQL

Monday, October 28 - 2-4:30		Tuesday, October 29 - 2-4:30
	Common Lisp II				Common Lisp IV
	CLOS II					CLIM II
	Porting					Advanced CLOS
	CLtL II					Site Management

					Tuesday, October 29 - 6-8
						Vendor Hospitality Suites

Wednesday, October 30
9-9:30		Welcome: Jim Aragones
9:30-10:30	Ian Campbell, VP of Information Technology,
		Lamb-Cargate Industries
11-12:30	"Future of Lisp" Panel:
		  Alan Zeichick, AI Expert
		  Jim Allard, Mgr of Languages, Interpreters & Compilers, Gensym
		  Jim Veitch, Director of Engineering, Franz
		  Richard Weyhrauch, President, Ibuki (session chair)
		  Rob MacLauchlan, CMU
12:30-1:30	<Lunch Buffet>
1:30-2:15	Steve Pelletier, Senior VP of Engineering, Interleaf
2:15-3:00	Marc le Brun, Director, Advanced Technology, Autodesk
3:30-5:30	"UI Toolkits" Panel: Brad Myers, CMU (session chair)
7:30-11:00	Birds of a Feather sessions
		Presented papers (poster session)
		  User Interface Tools
		    Brad Myers, CMU (session chair)
		Presented papers (poster session)
		  Successful Lisp Applications
		    Kathy Egan, McDonnell-Douglas (session chair)

Thurdsay, October 31
9-11:00		Parallel sessions: Franz, Lucid, Harlequin, Symbolics
12:30-1:30	<Lunch Buffet>
1:30-3:00	Parallel sessions: Apple, Gold Hill, Ibuki, Venue
3:30-4:30	Parallel sessions:
		  AIT, Chestnut, Blackboard Tech (GBB), Top Level
5:00-5:30	Parallel sessions:
		  Interleaf (4:30), Python, College Park Software, Shimax
8:00-12:00	SLUG Sponsored Halloween Party

Friday, November 1
9:00-10:00	Lisp User Group: Jim Aragones
10:30-11:30	User Feedback Panel
		Cris Kobryn, Application Group Manager, Harlequin
		Gene Kromer, Chief Operation Officer, Franz
		Mike Sayer, General Manager, Lisp Division, Lucid
		Ken Tarpey, President & CEO, Symbolics
11:30-12:30	ANSI Common Lisp Draft, Kent Pitman, Symbolics
1:30-5:00	Macrology Tutorial

TUTORIAL PROGRAM

The tutorial program is an integral part of the conference in
that it teaches users new skills that they can use in their
work. Tutorials are taught by the educational staff of the
various Lisp vendors. The following tutorial sessions will be
offered, on sufficient demand, times and instructors shown are
tentative.  Register for the tutorials immediately, some may be
cancelled due to low enrollment, and others have limited
enrollment.  All tutorials except the Introduction to Common
Lisp assume familiarity with Common Lisp programming. Other
prerequisites will be explicitly stated.

TUTORIAL DESCRIPTIONS

Introduction to Common Lisp I - IV - Lucid, Inc.

This is a beginner's course, aimed at teaching experienced
programmers the Common Lisp programming language. It is a two
day course, covering most of the features of Common Lisp,
similar in format to Lucid's introductory course on Common Lisp,
but without the laboratory exercises.

Interfacing Lisp With Other Languages - Charles Cox, Franz, Inc.

Lisp applications can access code written in other languages via
the foreign function interface. This interface differs among
Common Lisp implementations, but all users face a similar set of
issues. These include: dealing with foreign datatypes vs. Lisp
datatypes, printers from a foreign language to lisp, the hazards
of GC with foreign functions, calling back from the foreign
language routine to lisp, and how the actual loading process
works.

This tutorial will describe these problems in detail and also
give examples on how to use foreign functions within Lisp. We
will emphasize C, although we may discuss issues relating to
other foreign languages. The majority of examples will be done
in Allegro CL.

CLOS I & II - Allan Wechsler, Symbolics, Inc.

This full day tutorial will present the basic concepts of the
Common Lisp Object System (CLOS), a new standard that will allow
object-oriented techniques to be used in portable code for the
first time. The tutorial will introduce the basic concepts of
object-oriented programming, followed by a discussion of how
CLOS supports these concepts.

Advanced CLOS - Jon L. White, Lucid, Inc.

This tutorial will present the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS)
Metaobject Protocol. By focusing not only on the behavior of the
Metaobject Protocol, but also on the concepts underlying its
design, we will show both how to use the Metaobject Protocol and
how to approach the design of metaobject protocols for other
languages.  The tutorial will be of interest to:  CLOS
programmers wanting to learn how to use the Metaobject Protocol;
engineering managers wanting to learn whether the facilities of
the Metaobject Protocol have relevance to current or anticipated
projects; language designers wanting to learn about the
techniques underlying the design of the Metaobject Protocol and
possible application of these techniques to other languages.
The tutorial will assume a working familiarity with
object-oriented programming. In addition, students should have
some familiarity with basic CLOS. Students unfamiliar with CLOS
should read Sonya Keene's Object-Oriented Programming in Common
Lisp - A Programmer's Guide to CLOS before attending.

CLIM I & II - Lois Wolf, Franz, Inc. and Symbolics, Inc.

The full day Common Lisp Interface Manager (CLIM) tutorial will
introduce the various features of CLIM 1.0 by building an
interface for a Common Lisp application program. The tutorial
will discuss screen display, including graphical and formatted
textual output, as well as the establishment and use of
application specific commands.  Presentation types, menus, and
the use of mouse clicks to execute commands will be described
and demonstrated. Familiarity with CLOS will be helpful, but is
not required.

Advanced Common Lisp: CLtL II - Lois Wolf, Franz, Inc.

This tutorial will focus on the features of Lisp which have been
changed or added between the first edition (1984) and second
edition (1990) of Guy Steele's Common Lisp the Language.
Discussions will include topics such as packages, conditions,
iteration, and pretty printing.

Closures, Continuations and Coroutines - Louis Steinberg, Rutgers University

One of the more powerful features of Lisp is its ability to
construct "closures", which contain both binding information and
code. By using closures, and a programming technique called
"continuation passing", it is possible to implement a number of
powerful and useful control structures, including backtracking
and coroutines, in a simple and elegant manner. However, this
technique is like recursion in that it can be quite confusing on
first exposure. This tutorial will lead the attendees through a
carefully structured series of examples to get them over this
initial difficulty and prepare them to tackle the take-home
exercises.

Porting Lisp Applications To Stock Hardware - Jim Veitch, Franz, Inc.

This tutorial will cover issues of interest to people porting
applications from Lisp Machines to other platforms such as
Sun/SPARC workstations running systems such as Allegro CL or Sun
CL. The emphasis will be on Unix platforms.  Porting a LISP
system involves a variety of issues. For example, at the highest
level, system issues including memory, disk, and CPU speed of
the target platform affect the behavior of the ported
application. Other issues which will be discussed include
porting the GUI, GC behavior, interfacing with the UNIX system,
interfacing with C code, dependence on Flavors, and tuning the
ported application for performance.

Symbolics Site Management - Symbolics, Inc.

This tutorial is a lecture course in setting up and maintaining
a Symbolics system site. The course provides a global
perspective of the Lisp Machine and covers concepts such as
paging, namespace, garbage collection, world loads, and physical
and logical pathnames.

Interfacing Lisp with SQL - Cris Kobryn, Harlequin, Ltd.

This tutorial is concerned with the design and implementation
issues associated with interfacing Lisp with SQL databases and
will cover topics such as: data models and query languages, SQL
access and update, functional Lisp SQL interfaces, CLOS-based
SQL interfaces, graphic SQL interfaces, and advanced topics such
as transactions and multiple DB access. Familiarity with basic
DBMS concepts is assumed.  Location

Practical Macrology - Robert W. Kerns, Digital

In this course we will address the practical issues and
techniques for the use of macros in Lisp.  The prerequisite is a
basic understanding of Lisp.  The macro facility is perhaps the
least-understood, most misused, and most underused facility in
the Lisp language.  Well-used macrology is one of the hallmarks
of good Lisp programming, and the source of much of the
language's power.  We will discuss why to use macros, when not
to use macros, how to think about backquote, compilation vs
runtime, common mistakes, naming conventions, semantics, and how
to extend the language using macros.  We will cover the use of
code-walkers, defining macros, and meta-macro-defining-macros.
Emphasis will be on developing a practical understanding of how
to use macros to extend the language to more clearly and
readably express your higher-level ideas.

CONFERENCE INFORMATION

The 1991 conference will be held at the Gaithersburg Marriott,
in Gaithersburg, Maryland, only 20 minutes from Washington, D.C.
The hotel hosts recreational facilities around an indoor/outdoor
pool, health club, saunas, and a whirlpool. A small lake,
shopping mall and movie theater are in walking distance of the
hotel. You will have easy access to sight-seeing in the cities
of Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland, as well as the
historic areas of Mount Vernon and Alexandria, Virginia.

Accommodations

A block of rooms has been reserved at a conference rate of
$79/night, single or double occupancy. Please complete the
housing form indicating your hotel preferences and reservations
will be made for you and guaranteed for late arrival (after 6pm)
if you include a credit card number. Any changes in your
reservations before October 25 should be directed to Laura Lotz,
the conference organizer; changes after that date should be made
directly with the hotel at (301)977-8900

Transportation

>From Washington National Airport (DCA) take George Washington
Parkway North to I-495 (MD exit) to I-270 North.* From Dulles
International Airport (IAD) follow Dulles Access Road to I-495
North toward Baltimore, to I-270 North.* From
Baltimore-Washington Airport (BWl) follow I-95 South to I-495
toward Northern Virginia to I-270 North.*

*From I-270 take Exit 10-11. Pass exit 10 to Route 24 east
toward Montgomery Village Avenue. At the second traffic light,
go right onto route 355 South. At the first traffic light, go
right onto Perry Parkway. The Marriott is 0.3 miles on the
right.

Washington Flyer/Express Bus service is available from Dulles
and National Airports. Passengers board express buses at either
airport and transfer to loop vehicles at Bethesda Terminal for
Loop A. Travel time is about 1 hour 15 minutes. Please call
(703) 271-6381, 6am-6pm, for your reservation. From Dulles: $32
round trip; National: $26 round trip.

National Airport is on the Blue/Yellow Lines of the Metro
System.  Passengers may board the Blue Line to Addison Road and
transfer at Metro Center to the Red Line to Shady Grove. You may
make arrangements in advance for the hotel to pick you up at
Shady Grove or take a 10 min taxi ride to the hotel. Travel time
is about 1 hour.

Registration Form

A LISP COMMUNITY TOWN MEETING OCTOBER 28-NOVEMBER 1, 1991
GAITHERSBURG MARRIOTT - GAITHERSBURG, MARYLAND

The First International Lisp Users and Vendors Conference

Registration:

Name:
Company:
Address:
City/State/Zip:
Net address:
Mail-stop/Dept:
Phone:

(Please circle programs and fees-fees are in US dollars)

NOTE: AS THE TIME FOR EARLY AND LATE REGISTRATIONS HAS PAST,
      THE 'EARLY' AND 'LATE' COLUMNS NO LONGER APPLY.

TUTORIALS:		     Student   Regular
Intro Common Lisp I-IV         $250	$500
Intro CLOS I & II              $150	$300
Intro CLIM I & II              $150	$300
CLtL II                        $75	$150
Closures	 	       $75	$150
Advanced CLOS                  $75	$150
Symbolic Site Management       $75	$150
Porting to Stock Hardware      $75	$150
Interfacing to Other Languages $75	$150
Interfacing Lisp to SQL        $75	$150
Practical Macrology	       $75	$150

CONFERENCE:                  Student   Regular
     Wednesday session         $100	$200	includes lunch
     Thursday session          $100	$200	includes lunch
     Friday session            $100	$200

Wednesday-Friday sessions      $250	$500

Tutorial total:
Conference total:
Total Enclosed:

Student fees apply to full-time students and university employees with a
letter from department or registrar.  Reduced rate housing is available
for students as well.

Please circle all LISP products you use regularly:

Apple  Franz  GBB  Gold Hill  Harlequin  Ibuki  Lucid  Symbolics  Top Level

Please circle those products you are interested in:

AIT    Apple    Blackboard Technology Group    Chestnut

College Park Software    Franz    Gold Hill    Harlequin

Ibuki    Lucid    Symbolics    Top Level    Venue

HOUSING FORM
Please circle one:   1 bed    2 beds    Please assign roommate

Please circle one:  Smoking   Non-smoking

Please circle one:  AMEX   MC   VISA
Account Number:
Expiration date:

Arrival date:
Departure date:

SEND WITH CHECK OR GOVERNMENT PURCHASE ORDER TO:

LUV-91
C/O SHELANSKI ASSOCIATES
P.O. BOX 294
MALVERN, PA  19355-0294