CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotated Text?

    Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1992 17:36 EST
    From: Jeff Morrill <jmorrill@BBN.COM>

      Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1992 16:03-0500
      From: Richard J Brandau <rjb1%vega@gte.com>
      Subject: Rotated Text?
      To: clim@BBN.COM
      Cc: Rjb1%vega@gte.com

      OK, I give up:  How does one get rotated text in CLIM 1.0?

      So far I've been uniformly unsuccessful regardless of approach or
      platform (Genera 8.1, Allegro 4.0.1 on a Sun, or MCL 2.0).  Either I'm
      really confused, or this is really tricky.

    As far as I know, that's not currently supported.

    It could be done rather easily if there existed something like bitblt
    on the Symbolics, which rotates arbitrary bit arrays.  It might not
    be the fastest thing in the world, but usually speed is not critical
    when you are drawing things sideways.  Most of us would be happy with
    rotation in increments of 90 degrees, which is not real hard.

    I have already asked for something like bitblt.  I think
    many CLIM users out there could use it.  Perhaps
    this would be a good time to ask the CLIM implementors
    if this feature is in the works.

It's not in the works.  Perhaps this would be a good time to ask some
good CLIM hacker out there to cobble something up?  I would be glad to
privately supply code as a starting point for handling 90 degree
rotations.

As Naha pointed out in another message, there is also a kludge function
called CLIM:DRAW-VERTICAL-STRING[*].