CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

lack of :extend-width arg to clim:formatting-table

dw:formatting-table had an :extend-width arg which (if specified with
value t) caused dw to space the table columns evenly over the full
horizontal space available.  We used this for presenting dynamically
growing tables (i.e., the number of columns changes) so that we didn't
have to calculate the inter-column spacing on the fly as the table
width grew and shrunk in order to keep the table spaced evenly across
a window.

This option seems to be missing from the clim version.  Am I expected
to manage the inter-column spacing myself?  I would need to write my
table to a helper stream, retrieve the size of its bounding rectangle
apportion the remaining space amongst the current number of columns in
the table, and finally write the table specifying a new inter-column
spacing.  This seems like duplication of work that clim is already
doing.

I notice that clim:formatting-item-list is documented with the above
behavior by default (although I couldn't get it to work either with
even the simple case:
   (clim:formatting-item-list (stream :n-rows 1
                               :stream-width (clim:stream-text-margin stream))

Nevertheless, I really need the behavior with a table of 2 rows as well.

Meir Laker
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
P.O. Box 218, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Phone: 914-945-2699 Tieline: 862-2699
meir@watson.ibm.com