CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overlapping windows to CLIM application frameworks

  Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1992 14:46+0200
  From: Stefan Bernemann <berni@iml.fhg.de>

  That's exactly what we need, too. Can someone comment on how CLIM 2.0
  will deal with this subject? Are those "frame-managers" the solution
  that clim programmers are to  use/implement (without "multi-proceccing")?

CLIM 2 probably won't do any better than CLIM 1 on this point.

  Can you provide some (example) code, as the documentation on how to
  implement my own top-level loop seems to be too straight for my simple
  mind...
  The lisp listener from the examples also doesn't enlighten me too much
  for this problem.
  Again, is there a chance that the functionality of this code will be
  part of clim 2.0?

Here is some code to get you started that should work in clim 1.1.  The basic
idea is that you have one frame, called the "master", that works like
normal clim application frames and that is used to provide the top-level
loop for the whole "desktop."

All of the rest of the frames have no top-level loop, they merely
provide some real estate that you can draw upon.  I call these the
"slave" frames.  If they share the same input buffer as the master,
then presentations drawn on slave frames become "applicable" to the
input context provided by the master.  (I don't know if this behavior
is a documented feature of clim, but I have found it to be true.)

(defun start-slave-frame
       (frame &optional (master *application-frame*))
  (let ((b (clim:stream-input-buffer (clim:frame-top-level-window master)))
        (top-level-window (clim:frame-top-level-window frame)))
    (labels ((set-input-buffer (window buffer)
	      (setf (clim:stream-input-buffer window) buffer)
	      (dolist (w (clim:window-children window))
	         (set-input-buffer w buffer))))
	 (set-input-buffer top-level-window b)
	 (clim:window-expose top-level-window)
	 (clim:redisplay-frame-panes frame :force-p t))))