CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tutorial Problems for CLIM updated to 2.0

    Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 16:40 EDT
    From: "Gregory M. Whittaker" <gmw@cypress.mitre.org>

    I have been trying to work through some example code shown in papers by ILA,
    and tutorials given by Franz. These were written over a year ago in some cases
    2 or more years ago. I am not having an easy time with any of this older code
    on version 2.0.alpha. Are you aware of any simple short 2.0 compatible example
    code that would be likely to work on 2.0.alpha. For tutorial purposes, much of
    the code presented in the CLIM demos distributed with 2.0.alpha is too complex.
    (also, it is very easy to hang up the entire system when working with some of
    these examples)

    In lieu of any tutorial code, do you know of any tutorial printed matter, that
    is compatible with 2.0.  It is very difficult to get started with the 2.0 CLIM
    specification, because it obviously was not intended to be tutorial in nature,
    and because there are hidden pitfalls in the alpha implementation.

    Any suggestions?

There is no proper documentation for CLIM 2.0 yet.  That's one of the
pitfalls of using an alpha release, unfortunately.

I think you will simply have to rely on the CLIM 1.0/1.1 documentation,
and use Appendix E from the CLIM 2.0 specification to guide you in where
the differences are.  The only place Appendix E is useless is in
descibing the differences between the frame pane and layout language;
for this, you will have to rely on the code in the CLIM demos.

I'm sorry that the answer is not more satisfactory.

     --------
    Cordially,
     Gregory M. Whittaker,		 The MITRE Corporation
				     Center for Advanced Aviation
					System Development
    Internet: greg@mitre.org	 7525 Colshire Drive
       Phone: (703) 883-5549	 McLean Virginia 22102-3481
	 FAX: (703) 883-1226	 Mail Stop: W215