CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Problem to print from one application into other applications

    Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1992 05:49 EDT
    From: Bernd Wild <bwild@fzi.de>

    Hi,

    I want print inside one application into a window of another
    application.

    If I send an output to a window of the other application,
    the output is shown on this window correctly but the receiving
    application dies at this moment (i.e. no further mouse-interactions
    are possible).

    Is there any trick to restart the application or to allow such output

    operations.

CLIM does not presently have any locks associated with output histories,
so multiple processes doing output into one window can damage CLIM's
datastructures.  You should do this locking yourself.

    Details:
    - Symbolics Ivory, Genera 8.1, CLIM 1.1.
    - Every application has its own root-window because all of them
      have to be active simultaneously.

This should not require multiple root windows.

    - my function
      (define-command test (com-test :menu test) ()
	 (let ((output *standard-output*))
	    (setf output (get-frame-pane *another-application*
    'output-window))
	    (describe xyz)
	    (setf *standard-output* output)))

    Bernd Wild

    Bernd Wild

    Forschungszentrum Informatik FZI
    Dept. Technical Expert Systems and Robotics
    Haid-und-Neu-Strasse 10-14
    D-7500 Karlsruhe GERMANY

    Tel:   +49-721-9654-310
    Fax:   +49-721-9654-309