CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: postscript output with scaling and draw-text* in CLIM 1.1

Scott,

Perhaps I'm not being clear enough about this problem; there are really two
separate issues involved. First, why isn't the start-point of the text glyph
being transformed, and second, why aren't the glyphs themselves transformed.
You have, I think, explained away the second problem, although I think that
CLIM ought to supply some vector-based font for this kind of thing; but I
still don't understand why the starting point for the draw-text* is not being
transformed uniformly with the graph arcs. I'd be happy if the "nodes"
remained fat or whatever font-size I specified, as long as they actually were
planted in the right positions relative to the graph arcs. This is in fact
what happens in the previous version that I sent when I use with-text-size.

Previous version:

(defmethod print-subclass-tree ((name symbol) &optional (size :tiny))
  (let* ((class (find-class name))
	 (filename (concatenate 'string (string (class-name class))
				"-subclass-tree.ps")))
    (with-open-file (file filename :direction :output :if-exists :supersede)
      (clim:with-output-to-postscript-stream (stream file :multi-page t)
        (clim:with-text-size (size stream)
	  (clim:format-graph-from-root class
	    #'(lambda (object s)
		(write-string (string (class-name object)) s))
	    #'clos:class-direct-subclasses :stream stream))))
    (excl:run-shell-command (concatenate 'string "lpr " filename))))

The trouble with this approach is that the degree of compaction or expansion
of the graph is determined by the text-size and does not cover the range of
contraction that I need.

If the starting points of the transformed arcs began at the end-points of the
textual-nodes, and the start-points of the textual-nodes were at the end-points
of the arcs then I could live with "untransformed" glyphs, but the way things
stand now, the postscript output for the textual-nodes portion of the graph is
identical no matter what I put in for a transformation size (using the code
included below). I think that this much at least is a bug in the CLIM implemen-
tation of 1.1. I only have documentation for CLIM 1.0 and 2.0.alpha.  There is
no mention of towards-x or towards-y in the 1.0 documentation, and the 2.0
documentation is irrelevant at this point since 2.0.alpha dose not yet include
with-output-to-postscript-stream.

Finally, I think it would be very useful for the with-output-to-postscript-stream
to accept an additional keyword (:eps nil) for the purposes of including these
views into standard document preparation software. I'm not grossly offended by
the earlier suggestion you made of offering a kludgey :scale keyword also, but
it does seem to clash with the overall transformation protocol.

 --------
Cordially,
 Gregory M. Whittaker,		 The MITRE Corporation
				 Center for Advanced Aviation
				    System Development
Internet: greg@mitre.org	 7525 Colshire Drive
   Phone: (703) 883-5549	 McLean Virginia 22102-3481
     FAX: (703) 883-1226	 Mail Stop: W215