CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The cost of CLIM and its future

In message entitled "Re: The cost of CLIM and its future" on Sep 17,
Arun Welch writes:

> Lisp is gonna have a hard time gaining market share as long as it's
> expensive for small colleges, tech schools, and public universities to
> be able to buy it.

In one of my many hats, I teach AI and AI programming for the part-time MS
program here at Johns Hopkins. When we moved to a new Sun MP this summer,
we looked for a new Common LISP as well. I was surprised to find that
Harlequin offered Sun licenses to Universities for only $1000. Also,
Ibuki would offer departmental licenses for an unlimited type/number of
machines for quite cheap. Franz and Lucid give educational discounts, but
only on the order of 50% off, so they are much higher.

IMHO, Harlequin and Ibuki's prices make it reasonable even for small
colleges and public universities.
					- Marty
Q: Did you bring your Rollerblades?
A: (Catholic-p 'Pope)